Kentucky Rep. Cluster Howard (D-Jackson) has pre-filed an adult-use cannabis legalization bill with plans to use the tax revenue to fund the state’s retirement system, according to a WKYT report.
The legislation would legalize personal cannabis use for adults 21 and older, and funnel 75 percent of the license and wholesale tax fees to the Kentucky Employees Retirement System and the other 25 percent to the Kentucky Teachers Retirement System, the news outlet reported.
The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board would be charged with overseeing the program and licensing cannabis cultivators, processors, testing facilities and retailers, according to WKYT.
The legislation also includes provisions that would decriminalize the possession of less than one ounce of cannabis and expunge cannabis-related misdemeanors, the news outlet reported.
Rep. Jason Nemes (R-Louisville) pre-filed a medical cannabis legalization bill in the state last month.
Kentucky’s legislative session kicks off in January.