Lancaster County Sheriff Terry Wagner has challenged Nebraska’s medical cannabis initiative in court, according to an AP News report.
Wagner filed the challenge Aug. 28, following Secretary of State Bob Evnen’s ruling that the medical cannabis legalization measure can proceed to the November ballot.
Opponents of the measure argue that it violates state rules that mandate ballot initiatives must focus on a single question, but Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana, the measure’s organizers, say they are confident that the initiative will stand up to the legal scrutiny, AP News reported.
The Nebraska Supreme Court will now have the final say in whether the issue goes before voters this fall.
Latest from Cannabis Business Times
- Hemp Building Institute Opens to Help Progress Industry Forward
- Missouri’s Adult-Use Cannabis Program Launches
- Cannabis Seeds Are Federally Legal: What Now?
- BDSA Expands Depth of Actionable Cannabis Industry Insights with Launch of Menu Analytics
- 7 Tips for a More Productive Offseason
- Cannabis Conference 2023 Registration Now Open
- UPDATE: Hong Kong Bans CBD
- Finding the Best Path Forward: FDA’s Norman Birenbaum Talks Hemp-Derived Product Regulation