Late February and early March headlines prove that 2021 is picking up momentum on the cannabis reform front. Recent legislative moves in New Jersey and Virginia have piqued the industry’s attention, and North Dakota may work its way around past election losses to land a legislative victory in the near future.
We’ve rounded up some of the key cannabis headlines from the week right here.
- The major headline this week took place over the previous weekend, in fact, when the Virginia legislature sent an adult-use legalization bill to Gov. Ralph Northam’s desk. But the years-long timeline would implement the law only in 2024, something that’s fetched an outcry from cannabis advocates and industry observers. Read more
- Denver may soon allow cannabis deliveries within the city, part of a broader overhaul of local regulations. The plan also includes a new batch of business licenses that would be set up specifically for social equity applicants. Read more
- North Dakota, which has seen failed attempts to legalize cannabis through the ballot box, got some good news this week in the Statehouse’s passage of an adult-use bill. Read more
- BDSA’s latest forecast puts the global cannabis market at the $56-billion mark in 2026. Read more
- We’ve been following New Jersey’s rocky road lately, and this week contributor Raj Chander looks at how the state plans to consider social equity policies in its newly legal adult-use cannabis market Read more
And elsewhere on the web, here are the stories we’ve been reading this week:
- NBC 12: After Virginia legislators passed an adult-use legalization measure last weekend, businesses are now preparing themselves for future licensing and sales (which are not expected to begin until 2024). Read more
- FOX 17: On the other side of the Virginia state line, Tennessee hasn’t been able to get any traction on cannabis reform legislation. The newly proposed Tennessee Medical Cannabis Act might change that. Read more
- 8 News Now: Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announced eight appointments to the state’s Cannabis Advisory Commission this week. Read more
- San Diego Union-Tribune: County supervisors are working on regulations for unincorporated areas under their jurisdiction, with plans to introduce new cannabis business permits. Read more
- Cannabis Wire: The Bermuda legislature came close to legalizing cannabis, but the measure was shot down by the British overseas territory’s Senate. Read more