Five Philadelphia medical schools were awarded permits by the state Department of Health on Monday to conduct clinical research as part of Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program.
Pennsylvania approved a total of eight institutions to participate in what has been touted as the nation’s first state-sanctioned cannabis research program.
The schools are:
- Drexel University College of Medicine;
- Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University;
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University;
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania;
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine;
- Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey;
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine; and
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Each of the medical schools will partner with a marijuana company that will be permitted to operate a growhouse and up to six dispensaries.
Top photo courtesy of Adobe Stock